Placeholder for EPIA-M850 board. Content coming soon. Please yell at mrnuke on #coreboot if nothing changes soon. He's from Texas, he won't mind.
The EPIA-M850 is a mini-ITX board from VIA. It comes with either a 1.3GHz or 1.6GHz via Nano CPU, and a VX900 chipset.
This board is not fully supported. It has a number of issues one should be prepared to deal with.
- On DIMMs with two memory ranks, odd ranks are disabled by default. The memory initialization does not deal with odd ranks very well, and leaves them disabled.
- Even with a VGA BIOS, you will get a garbled display. GRUB2 and linux are able to get a working text console though, but only if a VGA BIOS has been run.
- IRQs only work in PIC mode (no APIC and no ACPI). Do not expect to boot anything other than linux, and be prepared to boot with "noapic acpi=off 3": that is disable APICs _and_ do not use ACPI _and_ start in runlevel 3.
- Cards plugged in PCI-Express slots may not work.
- Linux sometimes likes to just hang. It stops responding: no serial output, no panic message, no response to keyboard presses.
If you still want to try coreboot on this board, have a way to recover by flashing externally in case things go south. There is an SPI header that can be used to reprogram the ROM if the board is powered off. flashrom does NOT work when running coreboot; this is NOT a good recovery plan.
|L1 cache enabled||OK||Always on|
|L2 cache enabled||OK||Always on|
|L3 cache enabled||N/A|
|Multiple CPU support||N/A|
|DDR3||Even ranks only|
|Dual channel support||N/A|
|On-board IDE 3.5"||N/A||N/A|
|On-board IDE 2.5"||N/A|
|On-board VGA||Not OK|
|On-board smartcard reader||N/A|
|ISA add-on cards||N/A|
|Audio/Modem-Riser (AMR/CNR) cards||N/A|
|PCI add-on cards||N/A|
|Mini-PCI add-on cards||Unknown|
|PCI-X add-on cards||Unknown|
|AGP graphics cards||N/A|
|PCI Express x1 add-on cards||?|
|PCI Express x2 add-on cards||?|
|PCI Express x4 add-on cards||?|
|PCI Express x8 add-on cards||N/A|
|PCI Express x16 add-on cards||N/A|
|PCI Express x32 add-on cards||N/A|
|HTX add-on cards||N/A|
|Legacy / Super I/O|
|Serial port 1 (COM1)||OK|
|Serial port 2 (COM2)||Not tested|
|PS/2 mouse||Not tested|
|PC speaker||Not tested|
|Sensors / fan control||Not tested|
|Hardware watchdog||Not tested|
|CPU frequency scaling||Not tested|
|Other powersaving features||N/A|
|High precision event timers (HPET)||Not tested|
|Random number generator (RNG)||N/A|
|Wake on modem ring||Untested|
|Wake on LAN||Untested|
|Wake on keyboard||Untested|
|Wake on mouse||Untested|
|Flashrom||No||Only works with vendor BIOS|