linuxbios targets ...

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 6 17:53:01 CET 2002

I heard an amazing data point from a company a few days ago, discussing
the linuxbios issue.

They estimate they have lost $30M just this year due to their inability to
support linuxbios on their boxes (no, it wasn't IBM, but it could have
been). Now for the company in question, this is peanuts -- not even 1/1000
of their gross revenue. But for the salesman for the company in question,
this is lost opportunity to make targets. Their salesmen are more than a
little unhappy. But the companies persist in saying "there is no market"
for LinuxBIOS, the same way they said "there is no market" for Linux, and
the same way they said "there is no market" for Unix.

It's always amazing to me that small companies in the US, with so much
more to lose, are so much more willing to take on risk than the big
companies, who can waste tens of millions in the wink of an eye -- far
more than it would cost them to field LinuxBIOS.

ron