Booting from floppy

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Mon Dec 9 08:31:01 CET 2002

> It's Ron's privilege to name the project as he sees fit, but when
> people first see "LinuxBIOS", misinterpretation does seem to be
> common. "LinuxBIOS" does *not* mean "a BIOS for Linux" - for one
> thing, Linux does needs no BIOS. The project's original intention was
> to put Linux in a mobo rom *instead* of a legacy PC BIOS.

Personally when I first heard of LinuxBIOS I wondered what the usefulness of
such a thing was.  Yeah fast boots, but how is that any cheaper to buy
motherboards with DoC media than to put an 8M CF card in a CF-IDE adaptor and
boot from that?

Now in quantity (i.e. clusters) I think that LinuxBIOS is probably cheaper in
the long run (I'm sure that Ron's done all of these analyses and so forth
since it appears it's for government use) and I really am glad that Ron and
the toher contributors have done what they did.  It's always embarassing to
write off something as being fringe and then a year or so later find yourself
asking questions about it because you need to use it yourself.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew