LinuxBIOS and Vxworks

BIOS Support bios at sandtecmedia.com
Tue Dec 10 22:05:01 CET 2002

> Do you mean a linuxbios vga text console?
Yes, that's a start. I'd be looking for how quick I can put something on the
screen to pacify users - it could even be character graphics for a simple
logo.

> I have the code to set the legacy registers to start VGA for a vga
console,
> integrated into linuxbios, working on two different integrated chips, the
> stpc cpu/chipset, and the sis 630 chipset.  It sets the registers for
> 640x400 std text vga, and also 640x480x4 graphics.  I was working on the
> display of a .pcx graphics file when I had to get onto something else, but
> it was all working the last time I tried it.

Graphics through the frame buffer would be nice but I'm willing to look into
that. I've heard of some code that already works with the vt8601 that I'm
looking to use.

> You are welcome to the code if it would help.  AFAIR the EPIA is the
> PLE133/vt8601a, which has legacy VGA registers.  All you need usually is
> legacy plus a "few other settings" to get text and/or simple legacy
graphics
> going.  The "few other settings" can be bitch, though.
Yep, the "few other settings" is like the saying in engineering that goes
something along the lines of "the final 10% of the work takes 90% of the
time." That's in the category of "magic" that I was referring too earlier
(it goes by other names such as "company confidential", "proprietary", "NDA
required", etc.).

Andy