VIA EPIA up!

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Sat Dec 21 13:18:00 CET 2002

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > I have an EPIA board hopefully arriving this morning.
> >
> > I have strange ideas about building a low cost/low noise cluster at home.
>
> Not for numerics, obviously. Could be useful for playing with distributed
> filesystems and nonnumerical codes which operate out of memory (like a
> database running on data loaded and locked in memory).
>
> What are you trying to do?

As you say, playing with things!
I'll probably be intially experimenting with Linuxbios and diskless
booting.
The application I have in mind is a small render farm - I used
to work in post-production.
But it is just so much fun to be able to think of a home cluster!

By the way, I trudged out to East London today to pick up my board from
the courier company.
It is an EPAI5000 - I did not realise that DOC was an option on these
boards. Mine doesn't have this.
A bit frustrating to see the empty space on the board.

Does anyone know how to specify this option, and what the extra cost is?