first attempt... almost. :-)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Sun Dec 29 13:31:00 CET 2002

> Time to unsolder the part.  I think I'm going to install a DIP socket and
> officially declare this particular motherboard my sacrificial system.  :-)

Well the system is sacrificed and I got quite far with a 28F001 DIP part in a
ZIF zocket.  Unfortunately I connected +15 to the wrong pin (off by one
errors in hardware are often more damaging than in software) last night and
fried something.  I had RAM initialized properly now (I think) and ramtest
was executing the load part.  Unfortunately the SuperIO (SMC FDC37N958FR)
seems to have a watchdog in the internal 8051 core and the 8051 firmware does
not follow SMSC's recommended mailbox protocols so I can't shut it off
directly.  <grrrrr>

Does anyone have a P5-class ICE I can borrow?  :-)  Bochs doesn't get far
enough running the original BIOS to see how the mailbox registers are
accessed.  I had hacked it to spit out any I/O accesses but I have to do a
lot of work in getting the tx chipset more fully emuated before the original
BIOS will get to the part where it talks to the 8051 core.  :-(

Regards,
Anderw