Problems with kexec-tools-1.7, missing library

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sat Nov 23 01:54:00 CET 2002

Gregg Levine <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> I just attempted to build the contents of kexec-tools-1.7, on a
> Slackware 8.0 system running the 2.2.19 kernel. It ran make all the way
> until it found a missing library to complain about. Basically, I don't
> know what one it is talking about. I promptly ran make again, after
> issuing a make clean. It repeated. I then created a script file,
> containing the efforts of my third time around. Also it happened when I
> issued the same commands, on version 1.0. Eric is the collection being
> built static, rather then dynamic?

Yep.  It looks that way.  Oops.
There are other pieces that need to be built static but the basic kexec
utility should need to be.  It's probably an accidental hold over from
something else.

Anyway remove the -static from the final build line kexec/Makefile
and it should compile dynamically.

 $(KEXEC_S_OBJS): $(OBJDIR)/%.o: %.S $(OBJDIR)/%.d
         mkdir -p $(@D)
         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ -c $<

 $(KEXEC): $(KEXEC_OBJS) $(UTIL_LIB)
         mkdir -p $(@D)