Question regarding instructions...

steven james pyro at
Thu Nov 28 19:56:01 CET 2002

If the flash is in a socket, no problem. Believe it or not, the PLCC flash
chips can be hot swapped (power ON). So, the best approach is to use a
spare chip for LinuxBIOS, and keep the original as a rescue chip.

You will need either a non-conductive chip extractor. Boot under the
normal BIOS, pull it, and insert the spare. Program, reboot. If it fails,
re-insert the original and try again. Most of the boards in the project
were developed that way.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Nathanael Noblet wrote:

> On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 01:54 PM, steven james wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > It won't be possable to just remove the flash. However, you can flash
> > LinuxBIOS itself onto the plcc (square) flash, and have it load the
> > payload (kernel) from the DoC. It should be mostly a matter of
> > determining
> > where the DOC is mapped intp memory.
> Well that sounds promising. Although, if I don't get the linuxBIOS code
> just right, my machine is dead no? because I won't be able to get to a
> bootable floppy to restore the bios, and I cannot replace the bios chip
> with a known good one right?

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701
the original linux labs                    30303
      -since 1995
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743