strange error on sis900 ethernet

zhu shi song zhushisongzhu at
Tue Oct 15 01:45:01 CEST 2002

And also I have tested different packet size , I found odd len packet can't response, even can.  for example:
   ping -s 122   0% lost
   ping -s 123  100% lost
 ollie lho <ollie at> wrote:On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 22:30, zhu shi song wrote:
> I met one strange error on sis900 ethernet driver.
> I'm using cvs freebios on 6 Oct, 2002 , kernel 2.4.17,
> mainboard is winfast6300. After booting using
> linuxbios stored in DOC, I boot
> my host linux system using normal bios. the host
> linux
> is the same system as in DOC. I test pings, the
> result
> is ( after linuxbios booting):
> ping -s 2592 ( remote ip addr ) 0% lost
> ping -s 2593 ( remote ip addr ) no
> response, 100% lost

Why are your using a packet size of 259x bytes ?? It just makes
no sense since the MTU of ethernet is about 1500.

> I can't make the mainboard work correctly until I have
> booted
> windows98. Then I use my host linux system to boot,
> the thing is ok. (after windows98 booting )
> ping -s 2592 0% lost
> ping -s 2593 0% lost
> What's the problem, maybe something wrong with pci
> ,or sis900 init
> code.

Some early 630A/E chips has some kind of bugs due to semiconductor
fab process. Probably you are just unlucky to get a bad one.

Linuxbios mailing list
Linuxbios at

Do you Yahoo!?