ATMEL 8051 8-bit + linux

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Oct 20 08:00:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 09:00:05AM +0100, Karthik Bala Guru wrote:
> i know to work with ATMEL 8-bit 8051 microcontroller
> How could i get into the nice linux world along
> with microcontroller concepts ???

Please stop sending wildly off topic mails to the list.  Thank you.

Linux wants a 32 bit CPU.  Stock Linux wants a MMU.
I'm not sure if it is at all feasible to port Linux to a <32bit architecture
but I'm definately sure that it will be a LOT of work and probably not worth
it in the end.

I suggest you investigate ARM cores, Crusoe CPUs and/or some of the other
chips that have been mentioned in discussions on this list earlier if you
want to start experimenting with embedded systems and Linux.

//Peter