LinuxBIOS Questions.....

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Oct 21 23:00:01 CEST 2002

Mark Weinstein <mark at dotcomlive.net> writes:

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the replies.  I must no have made my intentions clear.  I
> actually do NOT want to boot from a local hard drive, but I wasn¹t sure if
> the network boot would be way to taxing on the network.  I will be using a
> 100MB switched network and I didn¹t know how much bandwidth it would take to
> remote boot the nodes.  On top of that, what about any swap space that might
> be needed?

Note, while I reply to people when I am in a friendly mood, many times I too
busy to talk to people, so please talk to the list.

With multicast booting the scalability is fine.  I actually would have booted
faster if the cisco switches had not been in slow port mode delaying
the inferface boot speed by 30 seconds or so.

As for swap if you are seriously using that on a compute cluster you
have problems.  Although a little swapping to throw unused programs
out is o.k.

If your main filesystem is on NFS you probably have problems unless
you have a small cluster.  At the moment there is not a mature general
purpose solution to the bandwidth limitation problems.  But it depends
a lot on your application, and your NFS servers where you see
limitations, or which of the partial solutions are right for you.

Eric