RLX 800i Info?

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 23 22:01:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Mark Weinstein wrote:

> Does anyone have any specific info on teh RLX 800i port of LinuxBIOS?
> I have the immediate need to get one of these blades up and running
> with Etherboot, but would like a little more information.

We did that work here and I have a 6-node 800i rack that uses linuxbios.
Suravee did the job in a week, which I thought was pretty fast. It works
fine.

> Does linuxBIOS actually reaplce the BIOS on the blade itself?  If so,
> does the original functionality of the blade change at all?

LinuxBIOS replaces the BIOS completely.

Functionality: well, they boot much faster, and you don't need that crazy
VGA-over-serial stuff.

We load etherboot.

There is no resoldering or anything. We load linuxbios into the main flash
partition and if you don't like it, you can flip the jumper on the board
and use the original bios.

ron