[Etherboot-developers] booting ide flash from latest etherboot (CVS)

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Oct 28 16:04:00 CET 2002

On 28 Oct 2002, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> > > make ide_disk.elf
> > > Or in the normal case of wanting the nic driver as well.
> > > make eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf (nrv2b is the upx compression algorithm)
> >
> > no target like that exists in the latest cvs for the 5.1 tree.
>
> Try it.  It is there.

[rminnich at brain src]$ pwd
/home/rminnich/src/etherboot/etherboot-5.1/src
[rminnich at brain src]$ make ide_disk.elf
make: *** No rule to make target `ide_disk.elf'.  Stop.
[rminnich at brain src]$ make eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf
make: *** No rule to make target `eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf'.  Stop.
[rminnich at brain src]$

??

> > Also, it seems to me that if I set up BOOT_xyz to be BOOT_DISK, that stuff
> > should get turned on, so that the Principle of Least Surprise is honored.
>
> It is honoured you don't have the IDE driver compiled in.

I'll look at how to do this, but IMHO if you set BOOT_DISK it should force
the IDE driver to get compiled in. Is there a reason not to do this (i.e
you're going to support all kinds of non-IDE disks).

ron