[Etherboot-developers] booting ide flash from latest etherboot (CVS)

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Oct 28 16:23:00 CET 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> > > no target like that exists in the latest cvs for the 5.1 tree.
> >
> > Try it.  It is there.
>
> [rminnich at brain src]$ pwd
> /home/rminnich/src/etherboot/etherboot-5.1/src
> [rminnich at brain src]$ make ide_disk.elf
> make: *** No rule to make target `ide_disk.elf'.  Stop.

Hmm.  Very strange.   I just did a fresh check out and it worked
without error.

Oh, duh.  The difference is:
make bin32/ide_disk.elf
     ^^^^^^

> [rminnich at brain src]$ make eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf
> make: *** No rule to make target `eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf'.  Stop.
> [rminnich at brain src]$

Do make bin32/eepro100--ide_disk.nrv2belf

Should also work.

> > > Also, it seems to me that if I set up BOOT_xyz to be BOOT_DISK, that stuff
> > > should get turned on, so that the Principle of Least Surprise is honored.
> >
> > It is honoured you don't have the IDE driver compiled in.
>
> I'll look at how to do this, but IMHO if you set BOOT_DISK it should force
> the IDE driver to get compiled in. Is there a reason not to do this (i.e
> you're going to support all kinds of non-IDE disks).

The BOOT_FIRST etc options just control the boot order.

And yes the code structure is such that putting in a non-ide disk driver
should be straight forward.  I just have not done anything except the
floppy driver yet.  The driver structure for disks, and nics is the
same there is just a different tag indicating which kind of device
they are.  There is a distinction made between floppies and ide disk
in the boot order code simply because you normall want to distiguish
between them.  The code to boot from disk is the same in both cases.

I do admit having a better way to specify drivers than:
make bin32/driver1--driver2--driver3--driver4--driver5--driver6--driver7.elf
make bin32/etherboot.elf
would be nice, but no one has implemented anything better yet.

Eric