Framebuffer or standard VGA ?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 11:41:01 CEST 2002

Hi.

I'm using LinuxBios on an SiS630 motherboard (PC-Chips M810L).

Is is essential to use the framebuffer device for video output under
LinuxBios, or can I boot it into a 'standard VGA' mode ?

I tried changing HAVE_FRAMEBUFFER=1 to =0 and also removing it entirely from
my config file, but I just got no video output at all - the serial port told
me everything else was starting up okay though.

If it is essential to use the framebuffer, is there any way to change the
refresh rate, because I'm using an old monitor which loses the top & bottom
of the screen (it doesn't have a vertical size control :-(   ) when I boot
under LinuxBios.

Hope someone can help,

Antony.

--