Any UK DiskOnChip Retailers?

Eric W Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Sep 9 22:47:00 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Steve M. Gehlbach wrote:
>
> > > And key is Eric's code which will hunt the elf header down ...
> > >

> > Could you be more specific about elf.  I was using option BOOT_IDE which
> > uses ide_fill_inbuf.c etc.  Seems to work for a raw partition, but I have
> > not tried the combination with the Linux ext2fs in the other partition
> > (right now using a ramdisk loaded from a floppy as the rootfs).  Are you
> > talking about ELF_BOOT?

Yes.

> If you put the raw ELF image in /dev/hda1, eric's code will read block
> after block hunting for that elf header. Point being that you can put the
> elfimage in /dev/hda1, and are not constrained to putting it in /dev/hda.

The easy solution is putting the whole image in /dev/hda1 thought it
is theoretically possible to put the image on a filesystem and just
setup an ELF header at the start of the disk that points to it.

Etherboot also supports booting this way.  And it will allow you to
multiplex between a hard drive and the network.  So it is definitely a
good direction to look at.

Eric