Via EPIA

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sun Sep 15 00:56:01 CEST 2002

I am working to load linuxbios on the Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard.  It has
the Via vt8601a northbridge and the vt8231 southbridge.

If anyone else is working on this (or has already done it) I would like to
share code/information.  I have some questions I hope someone knows the
answer to.

Has the vt8231 code in Linuxbios ever been used (southbridge.c)?  It appears
to make calls to "intel_conf_read_byte" that do not link, although they
appear to be standard PCI config calls that could easily be replaced with
the code in the 82c686.  Does anyone know if the vt8231 is approximately the
82C686 + Ethernet (rhine 86c100a)?  The ISA bridge (func 0) and power mgmnt
(func 4) device ids do not match, however.

The brief datasheet for the 82C686 is on the Via web site but I cannot find
it for the vt8231.  Anyone have a copy or know where I can get one?  Is Via
helpful in providing data for the linuxbios project?  Fortunately they do
provide the datasheet for the vt8601a northbridge with all the vga registers
detailed, although it was not on the usual datasheet page.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

-Steve