fdisk DoC ?

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 07:42:00 CEST 2002

On Saturday 14 September 2002 1:41 pm, Clark Rawlins wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:41:14PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Having successfully got LinuxBios to boot from a DoC device, I'm now
> > trying to move on to having a root file system in the DoC as well, so I
> > can do away with the hard disk altogether...
> >
> > I'm trying to follow the instructions in the LinuxBios FAQ for "How do I
> > put a filesystem on DoC?" and I can't seem to get the DoC partitioned...
> >
> cwlinux uses:
> nftl_format /dev/mtd0 0x100000
> erase /dev/mtd0 128
> dd conv=notrunc if=docipl of=/dev/mtd0
> dd conv=notrunc if=docipl of=/dev/mtd0 seek=1
> dd conv=notrunc if=linuxbios.block of=/dev/mtd0 seek=2
> dd conv=notrunc if=linux.bin.gz.block of=/dev/mtd0 seek=128
> sfdisk /dev/nftla < partition
> dd if=fsimage of=/dev/nftla1
>
> Where partition is:
> # partition table of /dev/nftla
> unit: sectors
>
> /dev/nftla1 : start=        1, size=   14265, Id=83
> /dev/nftla2 : start=        0, size=       0, Id= 0
> /dev/nftla3 : start=        0, size=       0, Id= 0
> /dev/nftla4 : start=        0, size=       0, Id= 0

Thanks Clark - that worked a treat :-)

I now have bootable kernel + 7Mbyte partition without using a hard disk.

Has anyone here tried playing with Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org to build the system to go into the root fs ?

Antony.

--

Having been asked to provide a reference for this man,
I can confidently state that you will be very lucky indeed