General LinuxBIOS Questions

SIVAKUMAR SUBRAMANI sivakumar.subramani at
Fri Sep 20 03:27:01 CEST 2002

I am in the process of porting the Linux BIOS code for my system.

The Specification of my system is as follow:
Main board: Intel vc15.
SuperIO : SMSC LPC47M192
Northbridge: Intel 845 MCH (DDR support)
Southbridge: Intel 82801BA (ICH2)

I have added source code to support the above mentioned component as per
the specification of corresponding component. I have built the Linux
BIOS image also.
I need to test the code.

Before that I want to know, whether I need to apply any patches to the
Linux kernel. I am using 2.4.18 version of Linux kernel. I am planning
to boot the kernel from IDE disk.

"Please ignore the attachment!!!"

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxbios-admin at
[mailto:linuxbios-admin at] On Behalf Of Ronald G Minnich
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 7:28 AM
To: Eric W Biederman
Cc: Jeffrey B. Layton; LinuxBIOS
Subject: Re: General LinuxBIOS Questions

oops, missed this message and sent a reply to a reply!

On 16 Sep 2002, Eric W Biederman wrote:

> NIC hardware is noticeably more complex than serial ports so getting
> a network console going from power on is still an open issue.  I don't
> know that it has been tested much yet.

we're going to try this using myrinet hardware. I.e. a very simple
program on the NIC that will give us "serial port" in linuxbios for the
very early startup.

Linuxbios mailing list
Linuxbios at