Reference list of "known good boards"

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sun Sep 22 21:55:00 CEST 2002

On Monday 23 September 2002 2:44 am, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Hello from Gregg C Levine

> Can a list be drawn up of so called, "known good boards"? This reference
> list, to consist of chipsets, and board manufacturers, and a comment or
> two, from the person who created the port. That comment to mention if the
> board's IDE port worked, with the targeted disk drive. Also what else was
> needed to make the whole business work for him, with each board setup.

Sounds like an excellent idea.   I recently went through the process of
getting LinuxBios to work on what I thought was a pretty 'standard' board - a
PC-Chips M810LR with SiS630 chipset, and there were two challenges in
particular (the keyboard and the ethernet MII controller) which I would not
have got working without key bits of help from Andrew Ip and Ron Minnich.

Having things like that summarised on a web page of all the boards people
have tried LinuxBios on would be a good idea in my opinion.

> Basically I want to prevent the problems that Steve is having with his
> onboard Ethernet controller. It would also make things easier for those
> of us who are considering getting to this idea, on a deeper business
> then just building the code on a specific platform that is not the
> target, as I've done, several times over. Everyone, if I am asking the
> impossible here, then I extend an apology, but I mean well.

I felt there were sufficient "non-obvious" bits about what I had to do to get
my SiS630 board working that I wrote up a web page about it and sent it to
Ron for the documentation section of the website.

I'd like to see this changed so that there are generic instructions which
people should be able to follow for any supported board, accompanied by the
little gotchas or quirks to look out for on particular boards / chipsets /
peripherals.

Just my 2c

Antony.

--

There are two possible outcomes.

If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi