Releases...

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Apr 15 10:33:00 CEST 2003

Over the last several months I have been pushing Ron
to start making stable releases of the LinuxBIOS tree.

I have contributed the code for Version numbers, and I have
been stable releases for boards I support from my own tree.

Watching the LinuxBIOS tree one of the things I have seen
is that change happens, and it breaks old ports.  And as a developer
I want more change so new ports are easier to do and simpler
to maintain.

The path forward as I see it is to freeze the core of the tree,
and to have a stable 1.0 release series.  With the goal being
that from release to release, we do not break any existing
port in the tree.  To achieve this we need to freeze the core
of the tree.  And put any chipset code into at least a slush
so fixing one board does not break an old board.

Once all of the working boards are available in the stable
tree, there is not a need to avoid breaking things in the development
branch.  A working even if someday antiquated version will always
be available just be fetching an old stable release.

So that is my plan for breaking everything without breaking anything:)

Eric