mtd & bios flashing

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Apr 22 15:46:01 CEST 2003

Hello again, you may be sick of my questions today but well here's
another one..;)

I read over the Sis630 howto. It does explain pretty well how to get
this all flashed. I have two problems, it uses the flash_on /
flash_and_burn programs which don't work on my board (sis 530 based). I
don't know where to start to get that working pointers would be nice if
this is the road I should take. I say should take, because it was
mentioned that I could use the mtd utils to burn to the flash that the
original bios is on. I don't understand how I can do this. I haven't
seen anything in the mtd packages that would allow me to find the bios
holding flash chip. I also noticed that some of the instructions assume
that the DoC and the flash are in the same socket (as in you remove the
flash chip and replace it with a DoC) my particular board has a PLCC
type flash AND a DoC. I have the DoC working close to perfectly. I had
grub installed and able to boot from it. I was thinking of installing a
jffs2 file system on it. I also am just realizing that I wouldn't be
using grub or any "bootloader" persay. Which is good because well, the
grub doesn't support jffs2 I don't think.

	In anycase, here is what I wonder about. Do I need to go about finding
out how to access the flash holding the regular bios so as to be able
to flash it? Is there documentation on basic procedures to do this. If
there is an easier way, please let me know of that instead.

--
Nathanael Noblet
Gnat Solutions

T/F 403.288.5360