Delay in copying Linuxbios to ram

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Apr 28 14:39:01 CEST 2003

SONE Takeshi <ts1 at tsn.or.jp> writes:

> > > Not sure.  Need to see if the RAM is turned on for this region later after
> the
>
> > > C-code starts, if so, then the cache memory type may have to be changed from
> WP
>
> > > to normal.
>
> I tried it anyway and it worked great.
> Now I can't see anything between 'Copying LinuxBIOS to ram' and
> IDE loading message because it's too fast!
>
> > The generic code should handle this.  I believe all of the mtrrs are rebuilt.
>
> I think it's rebuilt in mtrr.c.
>
> My modification is below.

``Write Protect'' in the mtrrs does not mean write protected.  It is a strange
messed up form of write-through.  In particular it dumps the cache on writes
it does not forbid writes.

Unless you know of a situation where write protect is more appropriate please
use write-through.  It is less confusing, and since no one is writing to that
area anyway it gives the exact same result, reads are cached.

Eric