Another way of using ADLO

bendany bendany at mistdl.com
Tue Apr 29 10:45:01 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "ron minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov>
To: "bendany" <bendany at mistdl.com>
Cc: <linuxbios at clustermatic.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: Another way of using ADLO

> On Thu, 1 May 2003, bendany wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use the VGA with LinuxBIOS. since I am trying to use the
> > Xwindows. if you want to start the Xserver, you must have the vgabios. I
> > think when the Xserver startup, it will probe the videocard. but since
> > the LinuxBIOS does not have the videobios. so the Xserver crash.
>
> no, the problem is that the Xserver emulation of an 8086 has bugs, and so
> it crashes. There are some real problems with the X11 VGA support.

That you means the Xserver can run without vgabios? or we can modify the
Xserver, to make it support LinuxBIOS?  I am not clear with this. may be
you can explain more.

> Actually, this is very helpful but not completely right. I am glad you got
> your vga to work however.

I have an idea. that is , since we don't have time or documents to write the
vga driver.
we can make LinuxBIOS to support the origianl vgabios. Just like ADLO, but
somewhat simplify
just only init the vgabios. and then jump into protect mode again.
because the vgabios is distributed with mb. we can get it legally.