LinuxBIOS & binutils evilness

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Aug 14 13:49:01 CEST 2003

Jeff Noxon <jeff at planetfall.com> writes:

> 2.14.90.0.5 (Debian unstable) works for mkelfImage 2.5 but won't link
> LinuxBIOS.

This one is change in behavior of binutils.

> 2.12.90.0.1 (Debian stable) works for LinuxBIOS but mkelfimage 2.5
> complains about no a5 magic.

That is a binutils bug.

> Am I stuck with two versions of binutils?  Or maybe you know how to make
> LB link with the latest binutils?  It looks like a binutils bug.

The code in the freebios2:src/cpu/i386/reset16.inc should avoid this
problem, but oit does not generate a far jump only a near jump.

The problem binutils does not do a good job of supporting 16bit
offsets.  If you would like to pull the code back and generate a patch
for the freebios1 tree it would be appreciated.

Eric