config -> default

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Dec 3 12:16:01 CET 2003

On 2 Dec 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Any head way on this.   Especially the formulas which look
> like they will need a second pass to get right?

it's moving.

> I'm not quite there but this is quickly becoming and itch I want
> to scratch, unless someone is working on this.

I would rather not see the old stuff re-appear that put perl eval commands
into the makefile. I had linuxbios builds down to 10 seconds at one point,
but it is creeping up again as people put stuff like this in:

export LINUXBIOS_BUILD:=$(shell date)
export LINUXBIOS_COMPILE_TIME:=$(shell date +%T)
export LINUXBIOS_COMPILE_BY:=$(shell whoami)
export LINUXBIOS_COMPILE_HOST:=$(shell hostname)
export LINUXBIOS_COMPILE_DOMAIN:=$(shell dnsdomainname)
export LINUXBIOS_COMPILER:=$(shell $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -v 2>&1 | tail -n 1)
export LINUXBIOS_LINKER:=$(shell  $(CC) -Wl,-v 2>&1 | grep version | tail
-n 1)
export LINUXBIOS_ASSEMBLER:=$(shell  touch dummy.s ; $(CC) -c -Wa,-v
dummy.s 2>&
1; rm -f dummy.s dummy.o )

I find the LINUXBIOS_ASSEMBLER one fairly distressing. Also, the
'dnsdomainname' has caused trouble in the past on machines which are not
using dns (these do exist).

ron