irq tables generation

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Wed Dec 3 17:50:00 CET 2003

* ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [031203 23:05]:
> I am finding that OSes are really dumb, in general. Much to my regret, we
> are going to have to assign these in linuxbios. It won't be 100% reliable
> otherwise.

It seems this does not add a lot of complexity, especially compared to
providing all these tables to different OSes, but I might be wrong.

> in SMP mode, the mptable is used. In UP mode with IO-APIC support, the
> mptable is used, But in Old Fashioned 1981 PC mode, the IRQ table is used
> and the MPTABLE ignored.
>
> what a mess.

It's even better. Linux kernels compiled for x86_64 always use the
IO-APIC. Still we need to add the peer bus 1 to the irq table so see
the bus in Linux which could use the mptable to detect busses as well.
Why I don't know.

Stefan

--
     Stefan Reinauer, SUSE LINUX AG