Romcc Ramblings...

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 5 10:48:01 CET 2003

On 4 Dec 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Ron you complained earlier about compile speed and I think romcc is the
> big culprit there.  It's register allocator is currently using a O(N^2)
> data structure, so the more code it compiles the slower it gets...  I
> think I saw another version of basically the same algorithm that uses a
> different data structure, which would make it much faster.

I don't mind the romcc compile speed at all, I just don't want to see us
return to the days of tons of perl code in the Makefiles. We made
deliberate changes to the new config tool to eliminate the need for that
stuff. When I first cut over to the new config tool I was quite surprised
at the difference in build time for linuxbios -- all those Perl
invocations are expensive.

Romcc is fine by me, I don't care how fast it goes, it saves our necks.

ron