legacy BIOS usage

Peter Lister prl at peterlister.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 18:29:01 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:36, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> Very nice!  That slipped in under my radar.  I guess I'll be heading in
> that direction then instead of bothering with the old proprietary junk.

You should also note Peter Anvin's MEMDISK which emulates a virtual HDD
from a memory image. The code lives with syslinux, but not tied to any
specific bootloader.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/memdisk.php

It's possible that there may soon also be PXE for Etherboot as well;
there is a reasonable amount of code in existance and I'm trying to
resurrect it and get enough working that a couple of NBPs will run.

I personally think that a completely open legacy BIOS implementation
based on these + ADLO + bochs BIOS with hardware handled by LinuxBIOS
will have a very significant impact on a certain family of proprietary
operating systems.