IDEA: Linux kernel and pcbios compatibility...

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Fri Dec 19 08:53:01 CET 2003

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [031219 01:36]:

> Brainstorming earlier today I think I have found a way to use
> an linux kernel for the boot loader and to implement pcbios
> compatibility without too much cost.   The idea is to use
> a uclinux kernel.  And implement a ``user space'' aplication
> that is a user space shim that makes kernel calls.

What functionality is it exactly that we need the uclinux
kernel for? We won't do any scheduling, and we won't need source code
drivers if we implement a pcbios "emulation"
What I liked most about the LinuxBIOS2 approach is that
code was only introduced in the tree when it was specifically needed.

Since I had my hands at the Alpha bootloader Milo, everything that uses
a Linux kernel for it's operations kind of scares me...

Stefan

--
     Stefan Reinauer, SUSE LINUX AG
Teamleader Architecture Development