IDEA: Linux kernel and pcbios compatibility...

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Sat Dec 20 13:18:01 CET 2003

On 20 Dec 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Ok Then I am up to idea #2. For cooperation, just before I go
> catch my flight.

here's what I would like:
- we support all things bootable that don't need a pcbios
  linux, plan9, memtest, etc.
- we encourage other projects to move away from needing a bios
  this is mainly xyzbsd
- we use emulation for the option roms so that PPC and other non-x86
  will work (this is almost done)
- we provide (for those who want it) PCBIOS support as an option
  Making it optional allows vendors to build Windows-proof PCs,
  and I have had some interest expressed in that concept:
  if you are Windows-proof, you are audit-proof. A desriable property.

we should really make PCBIOS an option of last resort. We should not plan
for it as anything but a hack for OSes that are doing the wrong thing --
using a PCBIOS.

ron