IDEA: Linux kernel and pcbios compatibility...

Peter Lister prl at peterlister.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 18:29:04 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 05:56, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Regardless of the actual details what I like is the added requirement
> that we attempt to support the legacy pcbios interface.  It's ugly it's
> nasty but if we can do that with a Linux kernel driving the hardware
> we have a single solution which can work for everyone.  Some people
> can strip it down and not include all of the features but...

Or - cf the PXE discussions on etherboot-developers - have the stripped
version as the "normal" code and load in the pc bios services as
required. Indeed, why not add a "legacy layer" to OSs which need it, so
that rather than adding the code to the loader, add it to the *loadee*;
the common services can be lean, mean, open source, virtualised or
whatever we please.