treoubles building a linuxbios rom

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Sun Feb 2 16:15:00 CET 2003

Steve M. Gehlbach wrote:

> The documentation on config options is pretty sparce, mostly in the code
> itself.  Look at the other config files (in

ok

> freebios/src/mainboard/.../config.example and also in
> freebios/util/config/*), and of course, read the C code.  I use a
> find/grep
> alias a lot to find config options and how they are used (alias
> findit='find
> . | xargs grep  2>/dev/null').

isn't it the same "grep -r XXX ."?!

> We need more documentation for linuxbios; right now it is not a project
> where you can just type "make" and flash a rom without digging into
> the code
> a little (IMHO).

I understand. In the future, something like kernel's or lirc's config
menus would be great.

WHy isn't the web-configuration tool working? Is it an outdated tool or
do you only have to correctly configure cgi access?

>   The best bet if you don't want to spend some time on it,
> is to buy a board from cwlinux.  And, of course, if you come up to
> speed and
> want to help out, I'm sure Ron would welcome a howto.html file.

my company had my request to buy few motherboard from cwlinux. However
they like to write a lot of papers and to prepare budget reports for
anything. I've already used cwlinux great ROM images, and I have a
pcchips motherboard bought by myself in an exibition working with
linuxbios. I'm very interested in this project and I would like to
understand it and contribute, if possible.

Now I will dig a bit into the code and configuration samples. When I'll
have enough knowledge I will try some experiments and I will write down
some web pages on how to do it. Something like my other 'howto' about
lirc ( http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/lirc ). I like good, detailed
documentation and I hope to write something like this for my experience
with linuxbios.

I invite everybody, if they can, to answer to the many questions I've
written in the list. Each piece of information I can gather will find
its way on the howto...!

bye!
as