giving the user a boot option

prl-linuxbios at sychron.com prl-linuxbios at sychron.com
Mon Feb 3 08:19:00 CET 2003

> My point was that I am only focused on booting linux, and so the legacy BIOS
> is just flash baggage after linux gets going.  Grub offers some booting
> flexibility that I need, and since it is C code, also is more easily
> customized for some other things I need to do during boot (embedded
> application).

Linuxbios + Etherboot, surely?

You can give the command line by hand from the serial console or via
DHCP. Start off with the NFS root, administered remotely. Then populate
the disk and for subsequent disk boots, Etherboot has an IDE driver. No
direct support for SCSI controllers, but I think you'll be hard pressed
to get that without legacy BIOS.

Eric Biederman ported Etherboot directly to LinuxBIOS, so no legacy BIOS
needed. It's mostly C and Ken Yap is talking about embedding lua
(www.lua.org), so now would be a good time to talk about what
customisation you need.