objcopy -O binary behaviour

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Feb 5 10:13:00 CET 2003

this is interesting and I just hit it. objcopy -O binary appears to be
rounding the output to the page size. So, in some cases, your binary will
GROW, not shrink, when you do this:
objcopy -O binary linuxbios linuxbios.strip

So for example I have a 46024-byte linuxbios, which grows to 49152 bytes
AFTER it is stripped.

most inconvenient. I'm trying to figure out what makes this happen. It's
not a great thing, however. Even older objcopy's do it, e.g. 2.13.90.2
does it, but so does 2.11.90.0.8

I love BFD but somedays I think it wants to kill me.

ron