weighing in

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Tue Feb 18 07:31:01 CET 2003

Greetings,

I just looked at that code. I see what you mean.

A question there, we are still going to want early serial output. It's
ugly, but could special cases like that go into preram init? That does
look like a step back to what we have now, but it may be hard to help in
corner cases, and would allow for a neat and clean init for most chipsets.

The question is, it thats's done, would the exception become the rule?

G'day,
sjames

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, steven james wrote:
>
> > In the cases I have seen, any devices that require another device's setup,
> > the new device either has a higher device or function number, or it is on
> > a subordinate bus. The mose common case is the superIO devices which
> > require both southbridge and PnP setup.
> >

> > Perhaps the best thing is a provision for a function call upon scanning a
> > device. That function would init it far enough to reveal anything behind
> > it and no further. It could then either scan any subordinate busses and
> > dependant devices, or just return and let the scan that found it continue
> > to higher dev/fn numbers.
>
> on some devices (e.g. the acer southbridge) I think it is too late by that
> point.
>
> ron

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743