how to choice fallback or normal image?

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Thu Feb 20 10:06:01 CET 2003

Greetings,

Several conditions need to exist for the primary image to be used. The
code looks at the RTC register to check for indication of power failure
(either battery dead, or clear CMOS jumper set), then the CMOS checksum is
checked. If both tests show that CMOS is valid, then check the
RTC_BOOT_BYTE. First, bit 0 is moved to bit 1 and bit 0 is cleared. Then,
if bit 1 is set, call the primary (normal image), That is done so that if
the boot fails for some reason, it will choose the fallback image next
time. It is also possible to cause a fallback boot by setting the clear
CMOS jumper.

The RTC_BOOT_BYTE is not included in the checksum since it will be changed
wi8th every boot.

Note that on some boards, the CMOS checksum is skipped.

G'day,
sjames

 The RTC_BOOT_BYTE

--
-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701