Recommended dual Athlon motherboards

Steven James pyro at linuxlabs.com
Sun Jan 5 09:20:01 CET 2003

Greetings,

Guiness is AKA TigerMP. I expect that the comparisons will be helpful, I just
haven't had the time to finish that yet. The datasheets are available from AMD
which is also a help. The Northbridge is the same for 760 and 760MPX chipset.

Serial comes up only on the first boot of LinuxBIOS (after OEM BIOS has done
some setup). I don't expect too much trouble fixing that. The rest will be
reletivly easy after that.

An ICE should not be required (which is good since I don't have one), but extra
flash chips will be essential.

G'day,
sjames

Quoting Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net>:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I've been looking at the Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466).
> What is Guiness referring to?
>
> Might a comparison of PCI config registers or MSRs after OEM BIOS init
> and cold boot reveal something?  Power management actually helps, since
> all registers must be read/write (as opposed to write only - like VGA
> Pallette snoop) so PM can save context on suspend.  Does LinuxBIOS go
> far enough to get the serial port working?
>
> I'm going to buy a board, is there any chance it can be done without an
> ICE?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy
>
> On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 18:10, Steven James wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > 760MPX is promising. I have found that the Tyan/Guiness LinuxBIOS can
> nearly do
> > it. There will need to be some mods to the initialization though. It
> gets all
> > the way through LinuxBIOS only right after booting from the OEM BIOS.
> >
> > I haven't seen anything else for dual Athlon.
> > G'day,
> > sjames
> >

> > Quoting Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net>:
> >
> > > Are there any recommended motherboards that work might work with a
> bit
> > > of effort?  I'm thinking 760MPX, are there other chipsets?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jeremy

----------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs

LinuxBIOS Cluster Solutions                   230 peachtree st nw ste 2705

High-Speed Colocation, Hosting,                        atlanta.ga.us 30303

Linux Hardware, Development & Support             http://www.linuxlabs.com

* Visit us at SuperComputing 2002, Booth 1441 *   office/fax 404.577.7747/3