are there problems with this email? - what is a disc on chip? - beginner's question

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Thu Jan 9 03:49:00 CET 2003

Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

 > if you are a beginner and somewhat confused ... go to cwlinux.com and buy
 > a pc chips 810 board which will come with DoC installed AND an SDK.

ok, I see there is a kit:

Localdisk version features

      * 1 x LinuxBIOS compatiable mainboard (Intel/AMD based)
      * 1 x FlashRom with LinuxBIOS which is configured to boot from hda1
      * 1 x BIOS Savior for bios selection
      * Sample ELF kernel images

(the bios savior thing is cool eheh)

I think to understand that a DoC is not required if I have a local disk
in my system; I can put linuxbios and no other software on a normal
bios-like flash (2mbit should be enough) then load a kernel and operate
on a file system on my hard disk (which could even be a CF card,
inserted in the proper cd-to-ide adapter)...

The point is that I want linuxbios to powerup my living-room computer in
the shortest possible time: it is a satellite digital videorecorder (and
it has a big hard disk for this reason) which by now takes far too much
time to powerup (43seconds, many taken by the BIOS). How much time
should I expect for a 'local disk' init 1 linuxbios boot?

bye, thank you
as