IDE H/D Support

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Jan 28 11:01:01 CET 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, John van Vlaaderen wrote:

> Will LinuxBIOS be able to support several IDE cards ??  I actually used
> to have a PCI IDE harddrive controller.  These days one would by the
> 3ware (linux friendly) mirroring card.

The current complexity of the IDE drivers in Linux is something I would
rather avoid in linuxbios. But demand has always been the driver, note
that we can even boot over serial nowadays (!).

However it seems more sensible to Let Etherboot Do It, or Steve Jame's
Forth boot code that he had at SC 2002, or even Linux with a big enough
Flash. I still most prefer Linux as my boot loader as that has had the
fewest hardware glitches across the 10 or so platforms I currently
directly use.

ron