ppc linuxbios support

Greg Watson gwatson at lanl.gov
Sun Jul 13 11:42:01 CEST 2003

Hi Ramkumar,

Ports to new boards, or suggestions on how to make the PPC code more
modular and robust are always appreciated.

You might want to start by getting linuxbios booting a linux kernel
on the 755. This shouldn't be too difficult, as the 755 appears to
use the same northbridge as the 7410. I used the MontiVista linux as
it was already ported to the Sandpoint, though I had to make a few
patches to get it to boot with linuxbios. Let me know when you get to
this point and I can send you the patches.

I've just ordered an EP405PC from EmbeddedPlanet which will be my
next port. It uses the IBM PPC 405Gpr chip which is sufficiently
different to the 7410 to be challenging.

Hopefully this week I'll have the PPC version working under the new
configuration system (check out freebios2 instead of freebios). This
is going to allow us to build a static device tree which can be
passed to linux. Heiko Schick and I have been discussing the
possibility of mapping this device tree to an Open Firmware device
tree that can then be used to boot linux on an OF system (such as
Power Mac's).

Stefan Reinauer has reminded me that we should work with the openbios
community on this, though looking at the IEEE 1275 spec (all 250+
pages) I think they've got a big job ahead. :-)

Cheers,

Greg