Assembly code errors

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jul 18 16:01:01 CEST 2003

Dave Ashley <linuxbios at xdr.com> writes:

> When I write some assembly code and I've got the syntax wrong, the build
> fails but the line numbers reported in error messages don't relate to the
> source I'm working on. I'm wondering could the build process for the assembly
> code be changed so the python script creates a global
>   toplevel.asm
> file that has within it #includes for all the source files? So rather than
> cat'ing all the files, you let the compiler include them, so its error
> messages will be informative.

So far it is CPP doing the including.   You can look at the crt0.s file
and track down the error from there.  Imperfect but it works.

The long term solution is to use romcc.  That already reports the correct
line numbers.

> There's nothing especially bad about ASM code development, but things
> like accurate error reporting can make it easier (or harder when absent).

I agree it is nice not to need an intermediate step.  Unless it is an absolutely
trivial change we probably won't do anything for the freebios1 tree.  As we don't want
to break anything.

Eric