K8 + 2.4.21 + Tyan S2880

YhLu YhLu at tyan.com
Mon Jul 21 13:21:01 CEST 2003

Eric,

Thanks info about ROMCC option about -mcpu=k8. I will try and make the RAM
can be configurable.

My CPU is C0, In Opteron We may need to manipulate the MSR to enable the
apic.

Regards

Yinghai Lu

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> My boss has said that I can release the source code to you.
>
> Please find out the patch I made. Make the diff to today's tree.
>
> I didn't test RON new script and still use the old scripts tools.
>
> I strip out the LSI scsi support, because I don't know if there is any
> license problem, and I have referred to their documents and may need put
> their FW in the ROM.

Ah, an interesting problem.

> It's greater you add ops->enable function that make it easy to handle
> special device. To some device if it is not gotten magic code, it will not
> get the resource allocate to it. Before that I have to do it in init
> function and re-allocate the resource to it again.

Welcome.

> Please refer to my old amd8131_ioapic.c in southbridge/amd8111.

> Also you init the io_base, upper16 reg, otherwise the device in PCIX
> will not got io port allocated to them,  and will not work.

Sorry I don't quite parse that sentence.

> I have tested Stefan's the code about coherent_ht.c, and add some hardcode
> to it.
> coherent_ht.o.c is the original one. Coherent_ht.1.c is total hardcode
one.
> coherent_ht.c and coherent_ht.2.c are modified with some hardcode ones.

Interesting looking at this code are you working with C0 stepping Opterons?
I have the stock B3 and am having fun getting the memory resets in all of
the proper
places.

> raminit.c and raminit.1.c are till the hardcode one, and I have tried to
use
> the configurable one, but auto.c can not be compiled, it is too big and
used
> up REG?

Looking.  It is your romcc options.  By default romcc will not use mmx
or sse registers unless you tell it that you have them.  I have been
doing this with -mcpu=k8.  The register pressure is much less when you
have 24 registers to work with instead of just 8.

> The old one has been renamed to raminit.o.c.
>
> To start other cpus, in auto.c  We must enable apic and make sure all
> apic_id is right. Please refer to mainboard/tyan/s2880/auto.c boot_cpu
> function.

Yep, an interesting way of doing it.

> Again, thank you all to answer my questions to help Tyan s2880 work with
> LinuxBIOS.

Ron, Stefan.  Could one of you help with merging Yinghai's code?  I
might have time, but I don't think I will manage it before I leave
for OLS on Tuesday.

Eric