static and dynamic devices (again)

ollie lho ollie at sis.com.tw
Wed Jul 23 02:57:00 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:08, ron minnich wrote:

> We thus have a static tree (representing the static resources) with links
> at certain places to the dynamic tree (representing dynamic resources).
> LinuxBIOS can do device-specific operations on devices in the static tree,
> and can attach dynamic devices to nodes in the static tree. On the
> whiteboard in Greg's office, this setup makes lots of sense. We'll see how
> it is in practice.

Does this mean you have a device tree with STATIC nodes and DYNAMIC
nodes ? Does your code have to distinguish between static nodes from
dynamic ones when traveling the tree ? Is my imaginary of the scenario
as the following correct ?

	1. Device tree with static node is build at compile time.
	   (with some nodes marked "dynamic extensible").
	2. Travel the tree to init static node, for dynamic extensible
	   nodes, grow the tree.
	2.1 Init the dynamic nodes.
	3. Travel the tree again to do post-pci (whatever you call it)
	   init for static nodes.

--
ollie lho <ollie at sis.com.tw>