freebios2 mod to reset code.

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 23 11:55:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Steve Gehlbach wrote:

> I suggested this last year, with the comment that this is a more
> traditional way that embedded systems start up.  Your objections at the
> time were that it would cause trouble with some motherboards, but I
> don't remember the specifics.  I was wanting to do this since it is
> clear that we will be getting 2 Mbyte LPC soon and be able to boot
> Linux easily out of flash (as I think you have already done).

you have an inconvenient memory: you were right and I was wrong :-)

> One caveat I discovered, I could never get Linux to boot with a gdt
> located higher than 1M.  So even if you put a linux compatible gdt high,
> it has to be moved to ram < 1M or linux hangs on boot.  Never figured
> out why (true for 2.4 anyway).

we're not seeing this. We have GDTs in very high memory and it all works.
Interesting.

> Also, on the dynamic/static trees, one thing to consider in the mix is
> the serial ATA.  I think it is an external chip now but will be subsumed
> into the bridge chips at some point.  Not sure how a chip function
> moving around like this affects the software design.

I think it might work. On the Acer, the IDE controller has always been in
that static initialization. In fact, the superio architecture was
motivated by the acer chip.

ron