EPIA-ME6000

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 05:55:01 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have been fiddling with etherboot 5.0.10 and freebios(v1) from CVS today
on a EPIA-ME6000 platform.

This is the unit with a low speed clock (500MHz?) Eden C3 processor
which copes with passive cooling. I think it is EPIA-M9000 alike otherwise.

Using a hardware flash programmer, I first copied the VIA BIOS from the
STT39SF040A (256Kbytes) into a STMicro 29F040B (512Kbytes) device.

That only worked after I copied the BIOS into the upper half of the larger
device (from 0x40000 to 0x7FFFF). So I recon the highest address line
is not connected on the board and so the FlashROM sees high-impedance
on its most significant address line (and addresses the upper half always)>

I followed the HOWTO/EPIA document to the letter (without the VGA
BIOS at first) booting linuxbios w/ via-rhine.elf payload.

When booting, I merely got garbled output on the serial port.

I have double checked that the config file reads 115200 and that my
terminal reads 115200 8N1. (The 115200 is assembly hardcoded in
the vt82c686 superio code -- does it cope with my different processor
speed? I do not have the datasheet (yet?).

After that, I have tried all speeds on the terminal without result.

Is the EPIA-ME6000 (aka M6000) already reported to work here,
or are you guys'n'gals refering to the M9000 and M10000 alone?

How can I help?

Regards,

Leon.