EPIA-ME6000

Andrew Ip aip at cwlinux.com
Tue Jul 29 11:34:01 CEST 2003

Hi Leon,

> I have been fiddling with etherboot 5.0.10 and freebios(v1) from CVS today
> on a EPIA-ME6000 platform.
> This is the unit with a low speed clock (500MHz?) Eden C3 processor
> which copes with passive cooling. I think it is EPIA-M9000 alike otherwise.
> Using a hardware flash programmer, I first copied the VIA BIOS from the
> STT39SF040A (256Kbytes) into a STMicro 29F040B (512Kbytes) device.
> That only worked after I copied the BIOS into the upper half of the larger
> device (from 0x40000 to 0x7FFFF). So I recon the highest address line
> is not connected on the board and so the FlashROM sees high-impedance
> on its most significant address line (and addresses the upper half always)>
> I followed the HOWTO/EPIA document to the letter (without the VGA
> BIOS at first) booting linuxbios w/ via-rhine.elf payload.
> When booting, I merely got garbled output on the serial port.
> I have double checked that the config file reads 115200 and that my
> terminal reads 115200 8N1. (The 115200 is assembly hardcoded in
> the vt82c686 superio code -- does it cope with my different processor
> speed? I do not have the datasheet (yet?).
> After that, I have tried all speeds on the terminal without result.
> Is the EPIA-ME6000 (aka M6000) already reported to work here,
> or are you guys'n'gals refering to the M9000 and M10000 alone?
> How can I help?
Have you tried 57600?  EPIA-M6000 seems to have problem to use 115200
under LinuxBIOS unless it is boot from normal bios and then reset the
system.  That's why you are getting garbage.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Ip
Email:  aip at cwlinux.com
Tel:    (852) 2542 2046
Fax:    (852) 2542 2036
Mobile: (852) 9201 9866

Cwlinux Limited
Unit 202B 2/F Lai Cheong Factory Building,
479-479A Castle Peak Road,
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon,
Hong Kong.

For public pgp key, please obtain it from http://www.keyserver.net/en.