linuxbios and bochs

Brian G. Rhodes bgr at gw.linespeed.net
Tue Jun 10 09:48:01 CEST 2003

SONE,

I had not been able to find any documentation on BOOT_IDE, so I tried
using Eric's mkelfImage with etherboot and the ide_disk loader.  The only
problem I have there is it requires me to leave an empty chunk of disk at
the beginning of the drive to place the elf kernel+initrd image.  That
doesn't inherently cause the problem, but the fact that I can't just leave
an empty space at the beginning, but rather have to create an
unformatted partition does.

It requires changing both the initrd, any software which uses devices
directly, and the installer.  Using an elf loader and a kernel+initrd
image is a suitable fallback position, but something which is more of a
drop in replacement on the eeprom is still a goal for me.

Brian G Rhodes
bgr at linespeed.net
brhodes at visualcircuits.com
+1 612-741-1191