Help needed to understand code

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sat Mar 15 11:33:01 CET 2003

Shubhangi Jadhav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Could anyone tell me what are the .inc files found in the LinuxBIOS source?
> 	Are these generated from the C code (for the sdram code I could see an
> association between the .c and corresponding .inc) and how ?

The .inc files are assembly language files that "stack up" or include,
in order, on top of crt0.base.  These execute first, and eventually move
the C-code (and decompress it if necessary) to RAM, ending at c_start.S,
which jumps to the C-code.  The .inc files do things that are necessary
as a prelude to running C, which needs RAM (ie, a stack).

Each .inc file must jump around its data, it is expected to execute top
to bottom and flow to the next file included below it.

-Steve