off topic: CF -> IDE Where and which to buy?

Joey Nelson joey at joescan.com
Mon Mar 24 15:58:00 CET 2003

Nicholas,

As an alternative to CF, I'm using PQI IDE Disk on Modules.  For PC/104
embedded systems that have the 2mm 44pin IDE connectors they plug right
in without needing an additional power wire.  40 pin versions require a
separate +5V power input.

Programming them takes a bit more ingenuity.  I found that you can buy
IDE -> USB2.0 enclosures that work under Linux just like the SDDR-31.
The one tricky part is connector gender is wrong and the pins are
flipped, so you have to take a 2mm IDE cable and put pin headers in both
ends to hook the DOMs to the IDE->USB2 perverter.  Once the target
system is up and running I update tend the DOM across the network, which
is good till I test a kernel that won't boot.

It's a good solution for me because I don't have to find a place to
mount the CF adapter board, and don't have the extra cable.

The DOM price is a bit more than CF at around $40.

Joey Nelson